Technical Education in Assam started with the establishment of Prince of Wales Institute of Engineering & Technology at Jorhat before independence in 1927. Establishment of Assam Engineering Institute and later establishment of Assam Engineering College was the beginning of Technical Education in the State of Assam. It has been a long journey of evolution of State technical Education in the State of Assam. Directorate of Technical Education, Assam was established at 1960. Now there are 5 Govt. Engineering Colleges and 21 Polytechnic Institutions under this Directorate. In the Technical Education front, there has been phenomenal growth in the recent past. The first Engineering College – Assam Engineering College was established in 1956 at Guwahati and the first Diploma Institution. Assam Textile Institution was established in 1920 at Guwahati.
To realize human resource potential of the state with Technical Education Sector with equity and excellence.
- To improve Equity, Access and Quality in Technical Education.
- To improve Employment Generation through Technical Education.
- Augmentation of existing institutions and establishment of new institutions of Higher learning.
Primary Functions of the Directorate are:
- To administer, supervise, control and plan programs for the development of Technical Education in the state both at the Degree and Diploma levels.
- To formulate Engineering studies and courses, recognition of new courses to examine and recommend for opening of new Technical Institutions in the State both at the Degree and Diploma level.
- To conduct inspections and periodical reviews of existing Technical Educational Institutions to maintain the standard of Quality Education.
- To conduct the Diploma Examinations and to award the Diploma Certificates to successful candidates under State Council of Technical Education, Assam.
- To conduct Joint Admission Test for admission into B.E. Course (Lateral Entry) and MCA Course in different State Engineering Colleges of Assam.
- To sanction academic approval to Govt. and aided Institutions.
- To provide suitable norms and procedures for selection of students for admission of students to Polytechnics.
- To release grants and other facilities to aided institutions
- To select and depute teaching faculty for higher studies.
- To provide NEC and State & Institutional Merit Scholarship.
- To select candidates for minority Merit cum Means Scholarship.
- Improving access to Higher and Technical Education for making inclusive growth
- Improving quality of Higher and Technical Education
- Introduction of vocational courses and Integrated skill development
- Reorientation of course curriculum and introduction of new courses
- Faculty Development