The High Court of Telangana is the High Court of the Indian stateTelangana. Founded by the 7th NizamH.E.HMir Osman Ali Khan, initially it was set up as High Court of Hyderabad for the then Princely State of Hyderabad Deccan and later renamed High Court of Andhra Pradesh, as it was set up on 5 November 1956 under the States Reorganisation Act, 1956. The Andhra Pradesh High Court was renamed as High court of Judicature at Hyderabad in view of bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh state.
The President of India, on 26 December 2018, issued orders bifurcating The High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad for the State of Telangana and the State of Andhra Pradesh into High Court of Andhra Pradesh with the principal seat at Amaravati and High Court for the State of Telangana with the principal seat at Hyderabad. The bifurcation and the constitution of separate High Courts for Telangana and Andhra Pradesh came into effect from 1 January 2019.
From 2 June 2014, after the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 came into force, it was renamed and served as a common high court for both of the states until January 1st 2019. A separate high court was established for Andhra Pradesh and inaugurated on 1 January 2019 and it was named as Andhra Pradesh High Court.
The seat of the high court is in Hyderabad and has been sanctioned for 24 judges.
History of the judiciary
The State of Andhra Pradesh was formed in 1956 by the separation of the merger of the Andhra State which was formed in the year 1953 from erstwhile Madras state and the Telangana area of Hyderabad Deccan which was acceded by Government of India on 17 September 1948 after the Nizam’s rule. On 1 January 2019, Telangana High Court was bifurcated into Andhra Pradesh High Court and Telangana High Court after the formation of state of Telangana.
History of High Court building
The High Court stands on the south bank of the River Musi. This is one of the finest buildings in the city, built in red and white stones in Saracenic style, by Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan the ruler of the princely state of Hyderabad.
The plan of the High Court was drawn up by Shankar Lal of Jaipur and the local engineer who executed the design was Mehar Ali Fazil. Its chief engineer was Nawab Khan Bahadur Mirza Akbar Baig. The construction started on 15 April 1915 and was completed on 31 March 1919. On 20 April 1920 the High Court building was inaugurated by the seventh Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan.
While digging the foundation for the High Court, ruins of the Qutb Shahi Palaces, namely Hina Mahal and Nadi Mahal were unearthed. The High Court looks beautiful and impressive from the Naya Pul Bridge at sunset.
After its construction, a silver model of the High Court with a silver key was presented to the Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan by the Judiciary during the Silver Jubilee Celebrations in 1936. The facsimile of the buildings was perfectly carved in a thick sheet of silver weighing about 300 kg. The model is now in the Nizam’s Museum in Purani Haveli.
The main building of the High Court was constructed in the year 1919 by the then Nizam’s Government accommodating six judges besides accommodation for the office staff, record rooms and Advocates’ Hall.